Cooking Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
Nutrition Information per serving
Nutrition: Kcals 701, Fat 20.9g, Protein 92.3g, Sugar 27.5g, Salt 1.8g, Carb 38.2g
- 2.4 kg loin of Specially Selected Pork, chined, and the skin deeply scored
- 2 or 3 tsp salt
- 6 small apples, left whole, core removed
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 500 g new potatoes
1. Rub the salt all over the skin and deep in between the score lines, so that it will work with the fat to make crackling. Place the joint in a roasting tin leaving space to add the apples and potatoes later. Put the meat in the hot oven and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes to form the crackling.
2. With a sharp knife score a fine line around the waist of the apples so that they won’t burst in the oven. Mix the lemon rind and sugar together and divide this between the apple cavities, Pop a rosemary sprig into each apple. Set aside with the lemon juice until ready to use.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C/ fan 160 C/ gas 4 and continue cooking for a further 45 minutes.
4. Resisting the temptation to baste the meat, spoon off and discard any excess fat from the pan before arranging the apples and new potatoes around the meat. Spoon a little lemon juice into each apple. Return the roasting tin to the oven and cook for a further 45 minutes until the pork is thoroughly cooked, the potatoes tender and the apples are soft and sticky.
5. If at this stage the crackling is not done to your liking, cut the whole of the rind away from the meat, cut it into strips with kitchen scissors and place them on a baking sheet and return to the oven at 200 C/ 180 C fan/ gas 4 for about 15 minutes, keeping the meat, potatoes and apples warm meanwhile.)
6. Serve with your favourite green vegetable or some leafy green salad.