Cooking Time: 4 hours 20 mins
Nutrition Information per serving
Calories: 389, Protein: 54.1, Fat: 15.7, Carbohydrates: 8.5, Sugar: 6.5, Salt: 1.0 Does not include pasta or parmesan as quantities may vary
- 1-1 ½ boneless Specially Selected Pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 70g dry black olives (optional)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Pasta and fresh Parmesan to serve
1. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the pork over a high heat until nicely browned all over. Lift out and set aside. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan, lower the heat a little and cook for 5 minutes until softened and golden.
2. Stir in the oregano, sundried tomato paste and canned tomatoes. Fill one of the cans with water and add to the pan. Return the pork, bring to a simmer then cover and cook very gently for 3-4 hours.
3. Lift the pork out of the sauce then use forks to strip the meat. Shred any large pieces and return to the pan with the olives (if using) and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Toss with freshly cooked pasta and torn basil leaves. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and a good grinding of black pepper.
Slow cooker instructions:
1. Preheat the slow cooker on High for 20 minutes. Follow the recipe, putting the pork in the slow cooker, and then the vegetables and tomato sauce.
2. Cover with the lid and cook on High for 1 hour.
3. Reduce the setting to Low and cook for a further 5 hours.