Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours (in oven)
Nutrition Information per serving
Nutrition: Kcals: 389Fat 11.8g, Protein 56.9g, Sugar 5.1g, Salt 1.0g, Carb 11.4g
- 2 kg Specially Selected Pork leg or shoulder meat, cut into 2 1/2 cm pieces
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 15 g butter
- 500 g shallots, peeled and left whole
- 300 g small whole carrots, scrubbed and trimmed
- 3 sticks celery cut into 4 cm lengths
- 200 g button mushrooms, wiped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 150 ml white wine
- 750 g pork or chicken stock
1. In a deep frying pan gently fry the shallots with 1 tbsp of olive oil and the butter for about 10 minutes until well browned and beginning to soften, add the carrots and continue cooking for 2 or 3 minutes more. Transfer to a large casserole dish. In the oil remaining in the frying pan lightly brown the mushrooms and soften the celery, remove to a separate dish, set aside till later.
2. Toss the meat in the seasoned flour and fry in batches in the remaining olive oil until well browned on all sides, transfer the meat to the casserole.
3. Pour the wine into the frying pan and heat, stirring, to gather up all the lovely flavoursome sticky bits from the base of the pan, add the stock and bring to the boil. Tuck the thyme sprigs into the casserole, pour the stock mixture over the meat and stir well. Cover with the lid and put into the oven for one hour and 45 minutes.
4. After this time add the celery and mushrooms to the pot, stir carefully and check the seasoning. Return to the oven for about 45 minutes or until the meat is nice and tender.
5. Lovely served with mashed potato; or a mix of mashed root vegetables such as potatoes, parsnips and sweet potatoes or celeriac.