Cooking Time: 20 - 30 mins
Nutrition Information per serving
- For the Meatballs: 400g pork mince 1 egg 95g breadcrumbs 3 tablespoons apple puree 45g sage and onion stuffing Salt & pepper
- For the Sauce: 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 small onion – finely sliced 1 chicken gravy pot 250ml hot water 10g butter 1 tablespoon plain flour 100ml double cream 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Put all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to fully mix all of the elements together. The mixture should be just sticky enough to stick together into balls
2. Roll the mixture into small meatballs – get the kids to help as their hands are the perfect size for meatballs and they love getting their hands in there.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and pop in the meatballs, reduce to a medium heat – Don’t move them about too much as they may fall apart – wait until you see the pork starting to go white from the middle before turning. Continue to move them round the frying pan until cooked through. This should take around 10 minutes.
4. Set your meatballs aside to rest while you make the sauce.
5. In the frying pan that you made the meatballs, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add finely chopped onion – fry until the onions are softened but not coloured. Around 4 mins on a medium heat.
6. Add the butter and let it melt then add the flour and mix until everything is coated.
7. Add the gravy pot and the garlic powder and mix well.
8. Add in the hot water and mix until completely combined.
9. Once it heats through, add in the double cream.
10. Keep stirring, the sauce will start to thicken. If it looks too thick, add a little water from the previously boiled kettle to loosen until it’s a consistency that you are happy with.
11. Once your sauce is the right consistency add the meatballs back in and heat through.
12. Serve these with lingonberry jelly, mash and pickled cucumber, alternatively you can serve with chips or rice.