Cooking Time: 7 - 8 hours in slow cooker
Nutrition Information per serving
Pulled pork = delicious!
- 1.8kg boneless, pork shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml barbecue sauce
- 75ml cider vinegar
- 125ml water
- 50g light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp American mustard
- 15ml ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ - 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Preheat the slow cooker on High for 20 minutes. Brush the bottom of the slow cooker dish with 1 tsp oil. Untie the pork shoulder and remove the fat and skin. Season all over the salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes to soften. Leave aside.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a jug, adding chilli flakes to taste.
4. Put the pork shoulder joint in the slow cooker dish and spoon over the onion and garlic, then pour over the sauce.
5. Cover with the lid and cook for 7 to 8 hours on high, turning the joint over halfway through, until very tender and falling apart.
6. Using 2 forks, shred the pork and leave to stand in the cooking juices for 10 minutes before serving.
7. Spoon into crusty rolls and serve with coleslaw and sauces.
Tasty Tip: Replace the vinegar, sugar and water in this recipe with 200/300ml of Coke.